How to Research and Select a Contractor


This is a shared group collaboration of knowledge and experience. We encourage everyone to participate. Copy / Download / Edit / Add Additional Information Comments open at bottom of this document.

By Writers Pool published 4-15-2018 updated 3-21-2019 3 min. 52 seconds read viewed 512 times. Download PDF

This is a shared group collaboration of knowledge and experience.
We encourage everyone to participate. Copy / Download / Edit / Add Additional Information Comments open at bottom of this document.

Original Post: Link
Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors. Check if Licensed State only checks if Contractor has General Liability and Workers Compensation Insurance.

Louisiana Secretary of State Business License Search Must be in "Good Standings" 2. Must be Active Link:
Contractor License Type Your contractor must hold a license or licenses that match the type and scope of work to be completed. 1. Residential 2. Commercial

Permits and your Contractor All permits should be pulled by your contractor. You should have a copy of each permit requested and approved. You will be invoiced for the cost of the permit. Know if the Contractor is charging a labor fee for time requesting permits. Permitting is required on just about every facet of a rebuild. Your City / Parish Zoning and Planning Office will have a detailed list of what permit you will need.

Ask for Trades Resume Resume / Formal Training / Work Experience documented list. School of Hard Knocks does not apply, you must have trained, studied, been certified under a master in the trade to be called a tradesman of the trade. Examples: (Skilled Trade) Worked 3 years Framing with Master Carpenter R. Carp, licensed in the state of Louisiana now retired here's his phone number. (Skilled Trade) Journeyman with TA Plumbing and Mechanical worked 6 years as a Journeyman under the Master Plumber R. Plum license number #123456 (Unskilled) Internship with Mr. M 3 months learning how to wire low voltage electronics in a centralized distribution environment. Even if it sounds impressive it's electrical and requires training by a master Electrician or trade / vocational school.

General Liability and Workers Compensation Insurance Have the Contractor issue you an insurance certificate from his insurer. He should have a minimum liability amount ($100,000) or what suits the homeowner. If he has non-family working for him he must have workers compensation insurance (amount of coverage is statutory). When requesting the insurance certificate tell the Contractor that you must be named as an additional insured, and that you want a Waiver of Subrogation in your favor. There should be no additional cost to your contractor (from his insurer) for this. Effective August 1, 2017, LA R.S. 37:2171.3 contractors are required to issue you a valid certificate of insurance at the time of the bid. (Before you hire)

Contractor Lien Waiver Demand that your contractor sign a lien waiver every time he's paid. This document states that he has paid all of his material suppliers, labor, and subcontractors. It protects you from 3rd party liens (if your contractor did not pay his bills).

Research each member named in the business license. Search Tip: Ask for a Resume from each of the businesses registered owners listed on the Secretary of States website and research each point. Research each name associated with the registered business. You want to be sure your contractor is really who they say they are. It's important to notice things about your Contractor / Builder that help identify them as a member of the trades, tradesman or at least skilled in the trades.

Louisiana State Contractors Licensing information from a Homeowners understanding

by Murray Wennerlund published 10/23/2018 updated 1-11-2022 2 min. 55 seconds read
So many of us trust our contractors to do us right. Many of us dont know there are over 4,000 licensed and insured contractors in the state covering foundations to electrical. But all to often we hire a general contractor that hires unlicensed workers.


The road less traveled may lead to better disaster recovery

by Supervisor published 5/2/2018 updated 1-15-2022 2 min. 46 seconds read
You may owe money in the Louisiana Restore program and may not know how you are going to handle things. You are not alone, many people in Louisiana are feeling like the recovery efforts are not suited for our disaster.


How to Research and Select a Contractor

by Writers Pool published 4/15/2018 updated 3-21-2019 3 min. 52 seconds read
This is a shared group collaboration of knowledge and experience. We encourage everyone to participate. Copy / Download / Edit / Add Additional Information Comments open at bottom of this document.


Is elevating to Base Flood Elevation enough to protect my home

by Writers Pool published 1/19/2018 updated 1-15-2022 5 min. 22 seconds read
When you purchased your home your Base Flood Elevation may have looked good at first, but now that you have flooded and your home was at B.F.E. what should you do?


Rental Property Owners Exemption from State Licensing requirements

by Writers Pool published 10/31/2017 3:00:00 PM updated 3-21-2019 1 min. 12 seconds read
Great news for Investors who have at one time LIVED in the home before it became a rental property. Bad news for those rental property investors that don't hire licensed contractors or sub-contractors.


Open and Honest communications between all members makes our team better.

by Writers Pool published 4/21/2014 8:00:00 AM updated 7-3-2018 2 min. 51 seconds read
When you ask a tradesman a question you expect that answer to be sincere and so do we. We are blowing our own horn of Truth in the Trades Industry that might take you by surprise. No more are we going to trust words. We want to see proof of your skills.


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Pinterest
Share on Reddit
TruckAndTools.Com News