In an effort to prevent fraudulent claims, the state is requesting from many unemployed due to the pandemic and other reasons additional proof of identity. Requiring a Selfie holding your drivers license and social security card.
[START COPY OF EMAIL]
A claim for unemployment insurance in your name was recently received by the Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC). As part of our enhanced security measures, we are requiring additional identity verification from you in order to process your claim. LWC staff has been actively reviewing documentation already submitted and clearing issues from affected claims.
This is what you will need to do:
- Within 7 days, provide clear photos of your state-issued driver's license AND Social Security card. You can upload your documentation via HiRE by logging in and going to Document Management in the left navigation and selecting "Upload a Document." For security reasons, do NOT email your documents.
- You must also upload a "selfie" or photo of yourself holding BOTH the driver's license and Social Security documentation. Make sure your face, the picture ID and Social Security card are clearly visible in the photo or there will be a delay in processing your claim.
- A step-by-step guide on how to upload documents is attached to this email. You can also view an online tutorial here.
- If you do not have your Social Security card, please upload an official tax document that includes your Social Security number. In addition, you need to request a replacement Social Security card at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html and upload the confirmation that you have requested a new card.
- Once you have verified that all three identification documents have uploaded correctly into HiRE, email IDProof@lwc.la.gov with "selfie" in the subject line. Please include your name and phone number in the email as listed in your HiRE account. For security reasons, do NOT email your documents.
Please email IDProof only ONCE - sending multiple emails notifying us of your documentation upload will slow the review process. An LWC representative may contact you for more information.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in a disqualification of benefits.
PLEASE NOTE: The IDProof email box will not respond to any queries regarding claim/payment status or any issues other than identification verification.
LOUISIANA WORKFORCE COMMISSION
[END COPY OF EMAIL]
Editorial: The state of Louisiana is attempting to reduce the total number of claims. It was reported by the states AG office that thousands of fraudulent claims have been filed. The state has requested tax returns, photo ID, SSN ID and other proof of identification. It also appears the state is attempting to verify if an unemployed person is a resident of the state but has not formally requested data for this process. Many out of state residences claim income in the state of Louisiana which allows them to claim unemployment as long as they do not duplicate the claim in their home state. This topic will be covered as more research is completed.
We want to make sure you all receive assistance during the pandemic and understand what to file to make sure your assistance is not interrupted.