Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Independent Contractors / Self-Employed / 1099-MISC
Disaster Unemployment Assistance DUA Independent Contractors Self-Employed 1099-MISC

By Murray Wennerlund published 4-9-2020 updated 1-15-2022

Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Independent Contractors / Self-Employed / 1099-MISC

This is based on self-employed persons not W2 employers with tax filings for either 2018 or 2019 reporting earnings.

I haven't setup any guides in other states so if you could send me your governors office constituent services email address and name I'll send them the same questions I sent to Louisiana LA Workforce to find out how we can get more people on the HR 748 unemployment minimum of $600 per week to help with household income to cover overhead until the Stay at Home orders are rescinded.

This should work for all states but it's only been tested in Louisiana.

  1. Create your account at your states unemployment website. ( State resource links at bottom of post )

  2. Login to your unemployment website.

  3. File for unemployment using your name as your employer and list that you have been self employed for more than 2 years. (even if you have only been self employed for 1 year some states like mine need you to show 2 years of work.)

  4. Complete the application forms and confirm you have an application ID or claims number.

  5. Call or email your state and ask them what email address to send your tax returns to for proof of income.

  6. Name your files that you send to your state with Last Name _ First Name _ SSN _ Claim ID _ Document name

    1. Doe_John_123457890_ClaimID_1313_SchC_Taxform.pdf

  7. Print out the current filing information just in case you have to apply for work while being ordered not to go into work.

Resource Links:

  • Louisiana

  • Post your states website and document email in the comments.