The Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program SHOP offers major not for profits the opportunity to purchase and make ready for some real sweat equity and volunteer-based homeownership programs for low-income persons and families.
If given the chance you could complete the repairs on a house that transforms into a home for you. You just need a little boost, some guidance, some time and most of all a structure worth the repairs and an agency willing to offer you guidance.
"The FY 2018 Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP) competition was announced in the NOFA published on grants.gov on September 12, 2018, FR-6200-N-19 and which closed on November 12, 2018. Applications were rated and selected for funding based on selection criteria contained in the NOFA. HUD awarded 4 recipients $10,000,000 for eligible national and regional non-profit organizations and consortia to purchase home sites and develop or improve the infrastructure needed to set the stage for sweat equity and volunteer-based homeownership programs for low-income persons and families. Through this NOFA, HUD is making $10,000,000 of FY2018 Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP) grant funds available to national and regional non-profit organizations and consortia. SHOP funds must be used for eligible expenses to develop decent, safe and sanitary non-luxury housing for low-income persons and families who otherwise would not be able to afford to become homeowners." Resource Federal Register / HUD.
FY2018 Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP)
Organizations and locations awarded grant funding.
- Habitat for Humanity International 322 West Lamar Street Americus GA. 31709-3423 Amount: $5,321,723
- Tierra del Sol Housing Corporation P.O. Box 2626 Anthony NM. 88021-9346 Amount $2,138,174
- Community Frameworks 907 West Riverside Avenue Spokane WA. 98337-1902 Amount $1,338,071
- Housing Assistance Council 1025 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 606 Washington DC 20005-3516 Amount $1,202,032
- Total for 2018 $10,000,000
Updating with FY2019, 2020 and 2021.