Natural Disaster information sharing from homeowners and renters.
Ask any homeowner from any state about specific disasters in your area. Then ask homeowners in the state that ranks the highest in costs, damage, impacted and has the least amount of oversight and no watchdog to help their citizenry.


Within these pages you'll find references to Louisiana, FEMA, HUD, CDBG-DR, OCD-DRU, GOSHEP, OSHEP and a few more. These names and acronyms change state by state but on the federal level they are always remain the same in name.

When you read "Louisiana" simply replace Louisiana with your states name. 
Here's a few more examples of what to swap. 

  • CDBG-DR = HUD Long term Grant funding designed for most impacted areas servicing the 80% and below income household but has waivers that provide flexible redirecting of funds to all income classes if needed. 
  • OCD-DRU = Office of Community Development which is the equivalent to your states HUD Housing Assistances. D
    DRU = Disaster Recovery Unit which is more specific to managing the millions of Community Development Block Grants - Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) funding. Your state will have it's agency published in a different location than your HUD Housing agency which will actually be the same people in most cases. 
  • GOSHEP = Homeland Security under your states Governors Office. This is the group that works with FEMA directly and will have their own department / agency. 
  • OSHEP = Your local parish or county Homeland Security offices which most times is your local sheriff office.  

Now that you know the linked Federal to State agencies you will need to find the name your state places on the disaster recovery program. Some states will simply use CDBG-DR Program while others will make up names like Restore Louisiana Homeowners Assistance Program (RLHP) which is clearly something you wouldn't expect to be your last line of funding for disaster recovery unmet needs. In Texas your BLM manages your CDBG-DR funds while in other states you have your HUD Housing people using different names. It's how the states justify taking 5% to 6% of the total awarded grant for administrative costs. Each state will setup a new website, hire or outsource call center people and create a program from scratch each and every disaster. At times your state will bundle disasters to make total funding more lucrative for state Public Assistance programs. 

FEMA has a directory that will allow you to look up your state agencies for HUD CDBG-DR funding. Keep in mind that all state agencies receive the same training and are to take training each year. You as a citizen can also take the same online training as your state workers do. This is what I recommend so you can be a local advocate for yourself and your neighbors if needed. Louisiana is typically 2 years behind on training so it's best you educate yourself on any changes in the CDBG-DR program offered by HUD and keep your Federal Registry alerts up to date. 

The best way to find your FEMA and HUD disaster recovery offices and all assistance is to use the FEMA website location pages. FEMA Locations 

Enter your zip code in the search and you should find all your FEMA related agencies which most likely will be associated with your Homeland Security people and your Emergency Management people.