Engineering: Calculate your Allowable Stress Design (ASD) Load Combinations
Published March 30 2019 updated June 5 2019 2 min. 59 seconds read
Design Loads for Residential Buildings.
Do you all know Cunningham's Law?
"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."
Don't allow misleading or misinformation to cost you. Nearly all of the wrong answers come from not knowing where and how to search for the correct answers.
When your engineer asks you for your estimated design loads because you know drafting and did a 3D model of your dream home.
- Residential minimum design requirements
- Site Plan
- Foundation and Roof Plans
- Elevations and Building Sections (minimum two building sections)
- Building Details
- Plumbing Plan (water supply line sizes, gas supply line sizes, water-heating equipment, hot water recirculation pump controls, fixture flow and flush rates)
- Mechanical Plan (equipment type/size, supply/return, outside air ventilation, exhaust fan systems)
- Electrical Plan (lighting, power, load calculation, single line diagram)
- Plans must be readable and to "scale".
- Place all required notes on the drawings.
- Specification books on Single Family Plan checks are not acceptable
- Provide a True North Arrow and an Orientation North Arrow on site plans and floor plans.
- Exits and Emergency Escapes
- Light, Ventilation and Sanitation
- Yards and Courts
- Room Dimensions
- Smoke Detectors
- Attached Garages
- Attached Carports
- Stairways And Landings
- Detached Garages And Accessory Buildings
Workshop Categories (MATH Help):
Calculating Structure weights and loads
Weights of Building Materials
- Wood shingles = 3.0 psf
- Asphalt shingles = 2.5 psf
- Wood shakes = 6.0 psf
- Clay tile = 9.0 to 14.0 psf
- 5/8" plywood = 1.8 psf
- 3/4" plywood = 2.3 psf
- 1 1/8" plywood = 3.4 psf
- 2" (nom.) decking = 4.3 psf
- 1" (nom.) hardwood floor = 4.0 psf
- Linoleum = 1.5 psf
- 3/4" ceramic tile or quarry tile = 10.0 psf
- 3/4" gypcrete = 6.5 psf
- 1/2" gypsum board = 2.2 psf
- 5/8" gypsum board = 2.8 psf
- Plaster (1" thick) = 8.0 psf
- Acoustical tile = 1.0 psf
- 1" Cement plaster = 12.0 psf
- 1" Rigid fiberglass = 1.5 psf
- 1" Glass wool = 0.3 psf
Douglas Fir Members
Weights In Pounds Per Square Foot
|Sizes||12" centers||16" centers||19.2" Centers||24" centers|
|2 x 4||1.4||1.1||0.7|
|2 x 6||2.2||1.7||1.1|
|2 x 8||2.9||2.2||1.5|
|2 x 10||3.7||2.8||1.9|
|2 x 12||4.4||3.3||2.2|
|3 x 6||2.4 plf|
|4 x 4||3.2 plf|
|4 x 6||5.0 plf|
|4 x 8||6.8 plf|
|4 x 10||8.6 plf|
|4 x 12||10.4 plf|
TruckAndTools.Com - Google News
Read full articles from TruckAndTools.Com and explore endless topics, magazines and more on your phone or tablet with Google News. TruckAndTools.Com - Google News.